Fifty-four priests (40 diocesan, 11 CP, 1 OFMCap., 1 OP, 1 Comboni) met at the Bishop’s Residence on 11 February 2011 for the monthly recollection and meeting.
Topic: “History of the Diocese of Marbel” by Fr. Romeo Buenaobra.
Marbel was erected Prelature Nullius on December 17, 1960.
Prior to this date Marbel was served by the Jesuits (1933 – 1938), Oblates of Mary Immaculate (1939 – 1958).
The Passionist Fathers arrived on January 21, 1958.
Bishop Dinualdo Gutierrez arrived in Marbel on February 5, 1981 as co-adjutor bishop with right of succession. He succeeded Bp. Reginald Arliss, CP as Prelate Ordinary on October 1, 1981.
Marbel became a Diocese on November 15, 1982.
Before Marbel was erected into a Prelature Nullius there were only 11 parishes. Now there are 25.
There was no diocesan priest in 1960. Now, 60 active priests in and out of Marbel.
Added to the catechetical and liturgical ministries are the Kriska, Family and Life, Youth, GKK. The Social Action apostolate was added with these program: Justice and Peace, Indigenous People, Health, Sustainable Agriculture, Advocacy, Women and Children. All with updated formation programs. Based on 1,000 BECs it is safe to estimate 15,000 empowered lay leaders.
Recognized organizations and movements were reoriented towards the Diocesan Vision-Mission-Thrust aimed at personal conversion and social transformation.
Ministries were formally organized with annual or bi-annual diocesan general assemblies.
The radio station DXCP (1971) was improved in terms of programming, personnel and equipments.
Educational institutions: 4 tertiary (2 universities), 18 secondary and about 30 elementary contribute to the formation of leaders: credible (saints), competent and committed to social transformation.