Pope Paul VI published this 31-paragraph encyclical on 25 July 1968.
Encyclical Letters are pronouncements of the “authentic teaching authority of the Roman Pontiff… That is, it must be shown in such a way that his supreme magisterium is acknowledged with reverence, the judgments made by him are sincerely adhered to… (Vatican II, The Church, 25).
Immediately before the aforecited paragraph states “In matters of faith and morals, the bishops speak in the name of Christ and the faithful are to accept their teaching and adhere to it with a religious assent of soul” (ibid).
The importance of “Humane Vitae” and article 25 of Vatican II’s document on the Church “”Lumen Gentium”) comes to the fore because of the continuing rift between the CBCP and the government.
Let us cite some principles in Humane Vitae.
1. Married love “comes from God” (n. 8). A “wholly human love – body and soul, faithful unto death, and fruitful – by the coming of new life (n. 9).
2. Responsible Parenthood (RP) RP means:
- “couple know all that their task entails”
- “mind and will in full control of instincts and passion”
- “couple think about their world in all its real conditions…before deciding size of family”
- “ above all else, that God is not forgotten, or his laws. These are objective laws, to which a right conscience is the proper guide. Responsible parenthood, therefore, means a couple recognize their duties towards God, towards each other, towards their family, and towards society as well… SO HUMAN PROCREATION IS NOT A THING A COUPLE CAN DECIDE UPON, JUST AS THEY PLEASE, WITHOUT A THOUGHT FOR OUR CREATOR’S PLAN”. (n. 10. Emphasis, Mine).
3. N. 11: The Acts by which a couple make their love, the acts by which new human life is made, are clearly “noble acts and worthy ones” (cf. Vat. II, Gaudium et Spes. The Church Today, n. 49).
4. Link between the meaning of a couple’s unity and the meaning of procreation is unbreakable because it comes from God and is founded within the marriage act. In other words sexual act between the couple is both an expression of mutual love (unity) and openness to the creation of new life with God (Procreation).
I urge every believer (of God/Allah) to protect the sanctity of marriage and the sanctity of life.